1. A tonal language is one in which meaning is determined not just by the sound of its syllables but also by
d. all of the above
2. Using “drum speech,” Akan people can
d. B and C, but not A
3. Which of the following led to the displacement of millions of Africans and the African diaspora
a. The Euro-American slave trade; colonization of Africa
4. Which of the following is NOT claimed in the chapter?
c. Drumming is the basis of most forms of African music
5. The Fontomfrom ensemble provides music for
a. Akan royal events
6. The time-line rhythm in the Fontomfrom ensemble is played on
c. an iron bell called the dawuro
7. The lead drummer of the Fontomfrom plays on drums called __________.
8. Which of the following is NOT one of the musical Africanisms discussed in the chapter?
c. emphasis on drumming-based music
9. Call-and-response is a significant manifestation of ___________ in African music
c. the conversational element
b. is not the basis of most music in Africa
11. The kora is classified as a ___________ and is unique to West Africa.
a. spike harp
12. Hereditary praise singers and musicians in Mande culture are called
b. jeli (jelilu)
13. Which of the following is NOT identified with the art of jeliya?
c. Principal identification of instrumental performance with female performers
14. Which of the following Mande instruments is a type of xylophone?
15. Which of the following is NOT true?
a. The modern jeli only performs for members of the Keita royal family
16. The layered ostinato style of playing the kora that typically accompanies singing is called
17. Musician Seckou Keita is considered a “radical royal” because
a. he chose to play music professionally despite being of Mande royal lineage
18. The virtuosic, improvisational, soloistic style of playing on the kora and other Mande instruments is called
19. Angélique Kidjo is notable for singing the majority of her songs in
20. Which of the following members of the Diabate family was the first to become a master of the kora?
b. Sidiki Diabate
21. One of the four principal modes in kora playing is called
22. Which of the following musicians is neither a jeli nor a griot?
c. Angélique Kidjo
23. Paul Simon’s landmark album Graceland
d. all of the above
24. Which of the following is a plucked chordophone?
25. Which of the following is a traditional Ugandan instrument?